15 June 2011

Pigs in a blanket


The other day I had half a rookworst (smoked sausage) left. This is a type of Dutch sausage in which ground meat is mixed with spices and salt and stuffed into a casing. They sell it vacuum packed and precooked so all you have to do is reheat it. This is always handy to have in the panty because it lasts almost forever. They also sell fresh rookworst, which is with raw meat and you’ll have to cook it yourself. Both are really nice, but if you have the chance try the fresh one.
I ate the other half with some sauerkraut mash potatoes. Since I had some pizza dough left (see my homemade pizza post) I thought I wrapped the rookworst in some dough and bake it in the oven. Finish off all the leftovers. So rather to make more small ones then one big one I sliced the rookworst in 4 pieces.
I divided the dough in 4 even pieces and started to pull them out till so I could have a good grip on the dough. I then held one end and swing the other end around to stretch it out. Now it was time to swing the other end around. Make sure you don’t swing it to hard, you might end up with dough all over the house. By now you’ll have a long piece of dough that more or less has the same thickness. Wrap this dough over your rookworst and your piggy is ready.
Repeat the process for the other 3 pieces.

I got some grated cheese out of the freezer (another great way to store your cheese) and rolled the dough in it. For the finishing touch some fresh ground pepper.

Because I had to wait for the oven to heat up (250c degrees then when it reaches that temperature lower it to 200c degrees) the dough continued to rise a bit.
I forgot how long I got them in the oven so I suggest to put them in for 10 minutes first and then if they dough isn’t brown yet to add another 5 minutes to it. Every oven is different so just keep an eye on them.
The result is a really nice flavorful piggy in a pillow soft, crunchy blanket. It almost tasted like the pretzels I ate in Germany, but then better because of the rookworst and the cheese.
This would be a great dish to make with kids. Foolproof and kid friendly.  

2 comments:

  1. This looks super yummy! I want one with a dig thing of mustard to dip in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lilly! Thanks for the nice comments. In fact my wife and did go to several open air markets. They are fun. You know, I was in the Nederlands a lot of years ago. It's beautiful. It's where I met Gouda cheese. Mmmm.
    Thank you sooo much for following the blog. That is great. But you didn't show up as a follower. I wonder if something clicked wrong. So you might try again if you are okay with that.
    Again thanks and hugs from California!

    ReplyDelete

I’m curious by nature so please share whatever is on your mind.