09 April 2011

Oatmeal cookie with several twists

I’ve been missing in action for a while due to some unforeseen circumstances, but I am back with some very delicious oatmeal cookies. If a "non" baker like me can make it, everyone can make it!
This is what I used:
250 gr of room temperature butter
150 gr of (light) brown sugar
250 gr of flour
200 gr of oats
200 gr of dried cranberries
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoonof ginger powder
2 eggs
3/4 white chocolate bar
2 table spoons of dried coconut (my secret ingredient)

I started with creaming the butter with the brown sugar till everything is light and fluffy.
In a different bowl I sift the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger powder to make sure there were no lumps. Then I added the oats, the cranberries and the two eggs. I used a spatula to combine everything. My bowl was a little to small so make sure you give yourself penty of room.

This mixture I then added in small batches to the butter/sugar cream. Even then some oats still manage to escape when I used my mixer. They were all over my kitchen. So be ware and be careful.
After everything is well incorporated add the dried coconut...
And the white chocolate and make sure everything is stirred in. At this point there are two options; either you bake them now, or chill them for a few hours. Such a hard decision, but because I wanted to see what the difference would be, I did both.
This is the first batch. I didn't want to make the balls to big, because I didn't know if they would expand and if they would, how big they would be. Make sure you press them down a little, because I forgot and mine were already in the oven, so I had to get them out and flatten them. I used a beer cap to do so and the balls were slightly bigger. Hey whatever works right?  

I had the oven preheated on 180 degrees and the cookies were in for 20 minutes. 
Taraaaaaaaaaaa these are cookies fresh out of the oven. My kitchen was smelling sooooo good. Notting beats the smell of fresh cookies!
I ate one while the rest was cooling down. The cookie was not overly sweet and very crunchy and chewy. I could tast the cinnamon, a hint of ginger and coconut.
Even when they completely cooled down completely they were still very good. The cranberry got chewier, but works well with the crunchiness of the rest. I wonder where the white chocolate went. Could not find any chunks. Maybe next time I use some dark chocolate. Just to get my chocolate fix.

Tomorrows batch is still a big surprice! Will let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m curious by nature so please share whatever is on your mind.