19 December 2010

Shake N Bake Beef

When I was making pho I bough a little bit too much steak so I decided to turn it into a starter. What better to make then bo luc lac (shaken beef) on a bed of lettuce.
I cubed the steak and put them in a storage box.
Then I chopped some cloves of garlic and seasoned the meat with some salt, pepper and garlic powder. I also added some Maggi and let everything sit for a couple of hours.

I peeled the daikon root and made little flower shapes which I cut through half to make them a bit smaller. Then I sliced them thin so they don’t need to marinate for long. I also sliced an onion very thin to go into the same mixture. I made the marinate with some boiled water, some sugar, a pinch of salt and some lemon juice. The mixture needs to be in balance with sweet and sour. Then I added the daikon root and the onion and let them sit.  

I took the meat out of the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking it. In a hot pan I first put in some olive oil and one chopped onion. After frying a little I added the beef and the garlic. Since I baked it on high fire the meat was seared quickly. Don't keep it in the first to long otherwise the meat will be tough. Try to keep it medium. The meat will continue to cook after you get it off the fire. 

I dressed my lettuce salad with some olive oil, lemon, sugar, pepper and sour onion and pickled daikon roots and served my Shake N Bake beef on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m curious by nature so please share whatever is on your mind.