19 December 2010

Multi task chicken


The other day when I made my famous “pho in town” I asked my little sister to buy me some chicken as well. Since they’ve been sitting in my fridge for a day or so I had to do something. I don’t like meat sitting in my fridge for longer then 1 day so normally I would put it in the freezer. Since I had time when I was cooking pho I marinated the chicken so they can sit in the fridge for another day.
Three quite big chicken thigh and legs, all washed and padded dry ready to be marinated.Since they were quite big and I wanted them to cook a little bit faster I separated the legs from the thighs and made little cuts on the thick part of the meat. This would reduce the cooking time and made sure the marinate has some more surface to cover. I then sprinkled some salt, pepper and of course some garlic powder on one side and them flipped them over and did the same thing for the other side.


The trick of marinating meats well is to make sure you sprinkle whatever seasoning you use evenly on every piece of meat you see on both sides. If you don’t do it evenly one part will be too salty and one too plain.  
In the same bowl I would store the chicken during their one day time out I put in some oyster sauce and some roast red pork seasoning mix. The oyster sauce is quite salty so don’t overly season the chicken.The roast red pork seasoning mix is used for making xa xui (roasted pork) but I think it is good for a lot more other meats. I just haven’t tried it on seafood, but I can imagine that it will go well with squid also.After I coated every piece of chicken with the oyster sauce and roast pork seasoning mixture I covered them and put them in the fridge for one or at most 2 days marinating.

I took the chicken out of the fridge and plated them on a roasting rack one hour before I wanted to cook them so they can come to room temperature. The rack will help to drain all the fat. I put the oven on 200 degrees (no preheat needed) and put the chicken in for 30 minutes. After 15 minutes I flipped them over and after 30 minutes I gave them another 5 minutes on the skin side just to make sure they were cooked proper.

Now that is some finger licking, good looking chicken. Roasted to perfection.
My hubby and sister ate this chicken just like that. No rice or potato needed. So easy making it, huge satisfaction eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m curious by nature so please share whatever is on your mind.