27 October 2011

The mini series: lemon poppy seed cupcakes

Have you missed it? I know I have. It’s been way too long since I did my last mini series and now since I started yesterday I can’t seem to stop. You all know I’m not a much of a baker. I like to “wing it” too much and I can’t seem to follow a recipe. On top of that most recipes call for bigger quantities that good for me. So that’s another reason why I love my mini cupcake mold so much. I don’t feel so bad if I pop one or two or more in my mouth.
Yesterday I made chocolate lava mini cakes and they were great!! Wait there’s more…
They were so great we finished one whole batch in a couple of seconds. Unfortunately since I wasn’t planning on blogging about it I didn’t make notes of the measurements. I know it had some butter, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder, 4 tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour, some baking powder and of course some bits of dark chocolate. I mixed everything together and baked it for 20 minutes in a preheated oven of 180C degrees.

Voila mini chocolate lava cakes!

I’m going to remake these and write down the measurements, promise!

After yesterdays adventure I thought about making it again today. You can’t have enough chocolate, but I was craving something else. Something tangy with a bit of a twist. I looked in my cabinet and there it was…one jar of poppy seeds. That together with some lemon makes a terrific combo for these cupcakes. So I grabbed a pen and paper and started writing things down.

This recipe only makes 21 mini cupcakes so don’t invite too many people over:
- 100 grams of butter
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds 
I started with mixing the room temperature butter with the sugar and salt. Then I added the lemon juice, lemon zest and one egg.
When everything was combined and the sugar dissolved I added the flour and the baking powder and gave it a good whisk.
Last but not least I added the poppy seeds. 
Did I mention that I didn’t use a mixer this time but did everything by hand? It was a good work out; 2 cupcakes more for me =)
I preheated the oven on 180C degrees and started to fill the molds.
I baked the cakes for 20 minutes till they were golden brown and put them on a rack to cool.
Of course one or two mysteriously disappeared. But they left a nice sweet, tangy and nutty flavor.
Don’t you just love the poppy seeds just pops in your mouth when you bite them?

I called my sister down and some more cupcakes disappeared. I don’t think they will survive the night. I better get some before they're gone.

17 comments:

  1. Yum. Look at all those yummy cupcakes. I love lemon and poppy seeds. I am going to have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these look delicious! I am a chocolate fanatic, but I think when it comes to baked goods...I just can't get enough of citrus!

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I love your chocolate recipe..."I know it had some butter". You better get an accurate measurement for that because I want to make your choc lava mini cakes soon. I also saw your whisk in the photo and thought, "no, she didn't", but you did. That's some incredible hand-power you got there, Lilly. Your lemon poppyseed cupcakes rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I am a chocolate lover, I started to like lemon poppy seed or more citrus flavor than chocolate since a few years ago. But that chocolate flavor I was talking about didn't have lava... I need to note this lava mini cake is an exceptional case...ohhh this must be heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be patiently waiting for that lava cupcake recipe :) For now though the lemon poppy seed ones look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful!! What a great food temptation! so cute and tasty. thanks for sharing, inspiring work .
    romwe street fashion blog, pay a visit? Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look so delicious! I can even smell them. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1st tie here & I'm in love with your cakes! :) I love it here! nic eto meet you. Kavi from India!
    -
    Kavi | Edible Entertainment
    Ongoing event: Healthy Lunch Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how sweet are these! I like the idea of mini cupcakes but I reckon I'd eat too many of them. I've not made lemon and poppyseed anything, I must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, those mini lava cakes look divine!!! Great idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on the cupcakes! I love lemon poppyseed bread, and it's great that these come in a cute mini package!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Minis!!! I totally missed this series :) Way to bring it back with a bang. Those lemon poppy seed cupcakes look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always said that lemon poppy seed are truly one of my favorite muffins! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looking moist and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummy, regards susan of Chacko's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful poppy cupcakes!
    Can't wait for your recipe of mini chocolate lava cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those cupcakes were great! Even the next day after I heat them for a couple of seconds they tasted like they just came fresh out of the oven!

    ReplyDelete

I’m curious by nature so please share whatever is on your mind.