27 May 2011

Banana bread

I had 3 bananas looking at me for a while now. I bought them when they were yellow and saw them slowly getting spotted with little brown spots. They were on the merge of turning brown and I was about to through them away. Then I remembered the one dish you could make with overly ripe bananas…banana bread!
I never had banana bread before. The one time I bought it in the States, I totally forgot to eat it. And with so much good food, I just didn’t felt the need to try them again. And now after making it myself I, no way I will eat store bought banana bread.

As you know I am not much of a baker, but I enjoy doing it more and more these days. Maybe one day I get to be good at baking also. Since this recipe turned out so good (I am having a slice as we speak) I thought I put it in writing so I can recreate it again next time. I made this bread Tuesday and now 3 days later it is still so moist that it looks and taste like I just baked it today.

For one loaf of banana bread you need:

- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vanilla yoghurt
- 3 ripe banana
- 75 gram raisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 75 gram dark chocolate (chopped in little bits and pieces)

I know it is a whole list of ingredients, but there are a few things you can leave out or substitute. Now you know why I had to put it in writing; I would never be able to remember next time.

Of course no banana bread without bananas so that is a definite must have, also the flour, eggs, butter, baking soda, salt and sugar has to be present. The rest is just optional.

Step by step this is what I did:

* Preheat the oven on 160 degrees.

* Peal the bananas and use a fork to smash them in a big bowl. You can smash them as much or as little as you like.

* Add the vanilla yoghurt and combined it with the bananas so they won’t turn brown.
* Add everything else besides the flour, baking soda and chocolate. Stir till everything is well mixed.

* Sift all the flower and the baking soda in the same bowl, mix it well and add the chopped chocolate.

* Grease a pan with some butter and put the mixture in.

* Set the oven for 65 minutes and wait patiently till the bread is done.

You can eat the bread just the way it is, warm, cold or after a few days. Make sure you wrap it in plastic or put it in a bag. It should still be good after a few days.
 
 
The hubby is always good being a guinea pig and he had a first bite. He liked it, but didn’t fancy the chocolate. Guess that’s just a women’s thing =) Everything is good with (extra) chocolate!

1 comment:

  1. Who can resist the chocolate? :) Looks like a fabulous bread.

    ReplyDelete

I’m curious by nature so please share whatever is on your mind.